Ashtanga: Foundations of the First Series In Ashtanga we explore both the familiar and the unfamiliar. The principal poses we know and love fromVinyasa Flow are mixed with less common postures to create a complete physical practice which opens and purifies the body. Although there are a total of six series’ in Ashtanga Yoga, the First Series is often considered the most difficult, because it is here that we each begin our journey.
This workshop will give you the tools that will enable you to unlock and explore the complete practice of Ashtanga. From the familiar poses of the opening sequence through to the final exercises, this workshop will prepare you for the broad range of yoga postures and transitions which make up the First Series.
In this workshop you will:
- Learn the traditional Suryanamaskar A & B (Sun Salutations)
- Understand the Sanskrit chanting and counting
- Learn how to safely enter and exit Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
- Explore the pick up, jump back, and jump forward vinyasa sequence
- Develop techniques for binding, twisting, balancing and forward bending
- Learn about the Tristhana: posture, bandha and drishti
- Spend time in the less familiar poses and discover what they are for
- Have the opportunity to ask individual questions and receive individual attention
- Develop the tools to begin a personal practice of Ashtanga Yoga
Ashtanga Yoga is accessible to everyone. Come and explore this invigorating and liberating practice in a supportive, relaxed environment. No previous experience of Ashtanga is necessary!
January 20th from noon – 3:00 pm
Investment – $35